Meet the Farmers
Four years of experience working on a local farm as the Assistant to the Director of Operations allowed Elise to gain experience in agricultural bookkeeping, marketing, sales, product deliveries, and more. Equipped with the skills needed to manage a farm business, building Kihei Poultry allows Elise to fulfill her ambition to do something she loves and meet a critical community need while working side by side with her family. Elise’s husband brings 10 years of experience in construction and another 3 in landscaping to the table. Their combined skill-set and passion for agriculture created the foundation needed to fill a crucial gap in Maui’s food system.
Kihei Poultry is the only business on the island of Maui, Hawaii that has obtained USDA and FDA approval to operate and sell meat and eggs to any individual or business. As a result, they have been blown away by their community’s response to their locally sourced meat and eggs. Online sales of fresh quail meat and eggs are sold out for the next 6 months, and they already have a big list of pre-orders for chicken and duck meat and eggs as soon as they are available!
The long waitlist and positive customer feedback have encouraged Kihei Poultry to take the next step and purchase more coops, equipment, and feed to expand to include chicken and duck meat and eggs.
Sustainable Agriculture Practices
Kihei Poultry’s commitment to animal welfare, environmental sustainability, and the strength of the local economy is clearly on display in their management practices:
- 85-90% of Hawaii’s food is imported, which creates a significant economic and ecological impact. Kihei’s meat and eggs are hatched, raised, processed, packaged, and delivered fresh on the island, reducing the community’s reliance on high-impact imports.
- An on-site mealworm farm provides fresh, low-footprint snacks and protein for the birds.
- The 2-acre site provides ample room for the poultry to range free during the day, but sleep safe and sound in their spacious walk-in coops.
- The majority of farm supplies are purchased locally to reinvest capital in the Maui economy.
- Providing local, affordable meat and eggs supports community health and reduces food miles and emissions.
You can learn more about Kihei Poultry on their website, kiheipoultry.com